Reasons to ban short-haul flights:
– We’re in a climate crisis.
– They’re truly inefficient as mode of transportation.
– Trains are generally cheaper.
– Trains are often quicker. Airport processing sometimes takes as much time as the flight itself.
– There’s precedent (Austria banned domestic flights that could be travelled in less than 3 hours by train. France wanted a ban on flights with 4-hour train alternatives, but the airline lobby spent enough money to make it just 2.5 hours.)
In the Northeast and Midwest corridors of the U.S., more than 30 domestic airline routes have viable train alternatives.
Map by Jordan Engel. As always, the Decolonial Atlas’ original media can be reused under the Decolonial Media License 0.1.